7 Dog Destinations
- 6 July 2018
- 0 Comments
- Pet Wants
Choose from Seven Great Dog Destinations
for a Memorable Summer Vacation
From east to west across our great nation, more and more travel destinations are featuring pet-friendly activities and accommodations. As you plan this year’s summer getaway — before making arrangements with a pet sitter or a kennel — take a look at these seven great dog destinations. Each location offers a variety of outdoor activities, dining options, accommodations, and good times galore. Which one gets your tail wagging?
- The Finger Lakes Region, New York – Dozens of local marinas and wineries throughout the vicinity welcome well-mannered dogs. As well, canines are welcome to accompany you on some boat excursions and on the many scenic walking paths. Throughout this quaint, picturesque area, pet-friendly rentals and outdoor dining spots abound.
- Middleburg, Virginia – Just 25 miles west of Washington, D.C., the Salamander Resort and Spa provides amenities for your dogs that include a pet bed, bowls for food and water, healthy treats, and a brand new toy. Dog sitting is available if you’d like to visit the nearby wineries.
- Hocking Hills, Ohio – Hidden in the rolling hills of southeastern Ohio, Hocking Hills State Park offers miles of walking trails and scenic areas where leashed dogs are welcome. You’ll find plenty of pet-welcoming rentals situated close to the 2,400-acre park. The nearby town of Logan offers a variety of pet friendly dining options.
- Chicago – While the city of Chicago is known for being “the windy city,” it also happens to be quite dog friendly. Visit Wiggly Field at Southpaw Dog Park on the city’s west side and Montrose Beach on Lake Michigan (both parks require licenses and leashes). Additionally, enjoy miles of paved walking paths along Lake Michigan for scenic walks together.
- Austin, Texas – The Doghouse Drinkery in the nearby city of Leander is a dog park — with an easy-access bar for you — that features two large off-leash play areas. At nearby Red Bud Isle Park, you can run, jog, walk, or swim along with your pooch; extra-wide paved pathways along the river add to the enjoyment.
- George, Utah – At the Red Mountain Resort, enjoy 55 acres to run, play, walk and explore. Your accommodations include food and water dishes plus healthy organic snacks for the pups. On-site activities include wellness programs where dogs are welcome to participate with their human friends.
- Carmel-by-the-Sea, California – On the shores at Carmel Beach, dogs are welcome to openly enjoy the sand, sun, sea, and surf with their favorite people. In the evenings, dog parties are common here, so the two of you just might receive an invitation. Choose from 25 nearby hotels and inns where pets receive VIP treatment.
With so many exciting options, it may be difficult to choose just one vacation spot. But whatever your choice, enjoying time away with your pups will create memories that last a lifetime. It’s time to put on your sunglasses, stick your head out the window, and let your ears flap in the wind (figuratively)!